Sunday, March 15, 2009

The story of Will i am and Pete

This is the story of Will i am and Pete, two hippie boys that I met in the San Jose Airport and were the main reason why I missed my flight that day.

(I have fifteen minutes to kill before my snorkeling boat leaves.)

I saw these two boys as they waited in line at the Airport check in. They were hard to miss. One (Will i am) was sporting a do-it-yourself mullet and the other (by default, Pete) was wearing a huck-finn-esque black hat of unknown origin, complete with a smattering of tropical feathers tucked in the brim...And they were grubby. You don't see this type of grubby in Costa Rica...not unless you are sin camiseta and are wielding a machete....and ESPECIALLY not in the airport where people dress waaaay nice to fly somewheres. No, no, no...this type of grubby was a Pacific Northwest type 'o' grubby. I would know it anywhere. I made a mental note of them.

While standing in line to purchase Cinnabon food (evil empire of fatty, sugary, smells like heaven food...evil to have the damn things baking at four in the morning so that you NEED to purchase them, even if you are not hungry, even if you know that eating a whole one will make you sick, even if a single cinnamon roll costs something along the line of SIX DOLLARS...evil and very, very clever...) I saw them again. They were attempting (at five o'clock in the morning) to perform front flips, juggling tricks, and back bends. Ok, I thought, I have to talk to these kids. They are just too interesting to pass up.

And they WERE interesting. These two vagabonds had traveled by various means through Mexico, through the various Central American countries which I am ashamed that I have no idea what order they go in, and rested up in Panama for a while, working at a farm and eating Noni fruits.

If you have never eaten Noni, I do not know how to explain what they taste like. Think of feet. Rather grubby, sweaty feet. Now rub a spicy pepper on those feet. And change the molecular chemistry of the feet to be soft and mushy with crunchy seeds inside about the size of cherry pits. If you bit these feet, they would taste and feel alot like Noni. Why eat this thing? Because it is incredibly good for you. Apparently. The only benefit I experienced was missing my plane. Which to most people, is not a benefit. Thus, I received no benefit from Noni...

Anyhoo. These two kids told me many fun stories about hallucinogens, great bluegrass/psychedelic-sharing festivals, which types of jungle fruits you should smear on your body, and how the government was mind-controlling people through the food we eat. I love people like this. They are the type of troubadours that I will seek out when the world ends and I have to lead people through a post-apocalyptic era.

No comments:

Post a Comment