Saturday, March 14, 2009

My 13th Country...not counting Canada...

I am in Belize. To be exact, I am in the town of Placencia, Belize. It is lovely here. And when I say "lovely", I am referring to the fact that I am (whilst within the confines of an internet room) 50 st away from the Atlantic Ocean. Today, the weather was absolutely clear, sparkling blue skies, with a delightfully playful breeze.

And I shall post some pictures to prove it. Meh.

It is strange to be a female and travel alone. Or rather, it is strange to hear what OTHER people thing of me traveling alone. In Costa Rica, it was "Wow! That is so cool! I wish you luck and all that stuff!". Here in Belize, I get a blank look and "You're ALONE?!?", and then they walk me home. I am not sure how I should take this.

Of course, a blond(ish), blue-eyed chick here is a little more rare than in Costa Rica. Belize is mainly populated by those of African decent and Latinos, speaking a rambling mix of Creole, English, and Spanish. However, the Spanish is a little Speedy Gonzalez-like due to the influence of Mexico, so it is a little harder for me to understand. HOWEVER! I am now ensconced in Placencia, which has alot of white people, so I don't stand out too much. In Belmopan, I am like a solitary sheep in a big, green pasture. You really can't miss me.

So, the cities here are a little run down. And everything is smaller. In Costa Rica, there is more infrastructure in place...there are skyscrapers and public transport, chain restaurants and hell, in San Jose, there is even a mall. Belize is a little different. People move differently. It is more roundabout here. (Even more than CR?) Yes, even more than CR...Incredible, I know.

But honestly, some of the most beautiful country that I have ever seen. I am eager to know more of it.

Damn, running out of time for posting pictures...and the internet is spendy here...tomorrow, perhaps. After snorkeling!

1 comment:

  1. ha ha... when i first read your post i thought you were saying... "and there's some hell in CR too".

    you are an awesome traveling lady. go get em... but don't get robbed or any of that kinda stuff. remember... just go for the crotch and throat.

    peace out blue-eyed white-lady world-traveling guitar-playing spanish-speaking generally all around cool chick. :)

    ReplyDelete